Carrying out a strategic study of the sector, or designing and leading a foresight study on different environmental topics, in various sectors and at different territorial levels
In 2017, France committed to achieving carbon neutrality, i.e. Net Zero emissions, by 2050 following the Paris Agreements. This objective was specified and confirmed in the 2020 revised National Low-Carbon Strategy, which is the state’s roadmap for achieving this objective.
However, it is the territories, and more particularly the local authorities, that can implement the majority of the actions that will make it possible to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. More and more territories are therefore adopting climate plans (notably territorial or PCAET climate and energy plans) to ensure their low-carbon transition, following national commitments.
There is therefore a real need to coordinate the various public policy development at a national and regional level. In this context, the regions have been designated as “leaders” of the territories on climate and energy issues. They are drawing up their strategy documents (SRADDETs), which aim to reconcile national strategies and objectives with local actions and possibilities.
The state, local authorities and their agencies are also becoming increasingly aware of the possible synergies between policies on climate issues (mitigation and adaptation) and those relating to environmental preservation (biodiversity, water resources, etc.).
To develop the best possible strategies, all these actors seek to develop foresight scenarios. These scenarios allow them to:
- Develop alternative narratives, including one or more desirable futures to aspire to;
- Identify the different possible environmental transition paths between today and this chosen future (i.e. a “carbon neutral” France in 2050), in a top-down, bottom-up or hybrid approach
- Assessing environmental impacts (climate, energy, biodiversity, non-renewable resources, etc.) and socio-economic factors associated with each of these transitions
- Identify the measures, human resources and investments needed to achieve the objectives identified in the different scenarios
- Develop an operational roadmap to implement this transition
Succeed your strategic foresight
I Care can provide technical support in the construction of a foresight exercise by following these steps:
- Identifying and synthesising relevant issues
- Identifying possible transition paths to achieve the desired goal
- Designing and leading a co-construction process with a range of relevant stakeholders and players
- Modeling the environmental and socio-economic impacts of the different scenarios constructed
- Advising you on the strategy to adopt and the measures to implement to successfully implement this transition
- Assisting you in communicating around the strategy
I Care has strong skills in modelling and forecasting. We have developed numerous models to analyse the impact of environmental transitions.
I Care embraces the challenges of environmental strategy and public policy (climate, energy, resources, etc.) for public players. We have assisted local and national authorities in developing their climate strategy.
I Care has in-depth knowledge of the regulations and challenges of linking various planning documents. For example, we have participated in the evaluation of the climate strategies of all the French regions.