I Care co-develops a methodology to standardize territories’ climate targets analysis.
As part of an ADEME (French Environment and Energy Management Agency) study, I Care, in partnership with EcoAct, has developed a methodology for French Regions to:
- Enable them to manage their climate policy (mitigation and adaptation)
- Provide them with all the necessary information to understand the steps to be taken to apply a low-carbon transition pathway that is consistent with the National Low-Carbon Strategy goals.
THE METHODOLOGY ALLOWS FOR A COMPREHENSIVE VIEW AND ANALYSIS OF REGIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL CHALLENGES
This analysis method was deployed in all French regions. The active participation in the deployment of the methodology has received positive feedback from all the Regions concerned, which saw it as an opportunity to:
- Have a global vision of climate challenges on a regional scale;
- To better promote the actions implemented;
- To have a tool for internal discussion.
The overall analysis of the regions’ results shows that there is still room for improvement in regional climate policies. These are mainly linked to:
- The integration of climate issues (mitigation and adaptation) in regional strategic planning documents and the regional budget;
- The reduction of GHG emissions is linked to their assets and competencies.
Nevertheless, one of the strengths of the French Regions is their high level of maturity concerning their role as leaders in climate action, particularly in terms of support for stakeholders in their territory. The general analysis also shows that a positive dynamic has been set in motion in many regions.
Finally, this analysis has enabled us to identify best practices and to make recommendations to the French Regions.
To find out more about these recommendations, visit the ADEME website.